The MATES course ‘Introduction to Big Data Practices in Data Management for the Maritime Industry’ has been officially launched.
This course aims to provide basic knowledge and hands-on experience for practitioners and VET trainers on Big Data Technologies and Data Management, which are considered as key factors in the digital transformation of the enterprises of the future.
- Provide a general overview of the necessary competences and skills for data handling in the maritime sector.
- Review the best practices in teaching Big Data technologies and Data Management, discussion on the specific for maritime sector tasks and requirements.
- Learn about new technologies and tools used for data collection and handling.
Course Provider: University of Amsterdam
12-15 October 2020
- Technicians and VET teachers/trainers interested in Big Data and Data Management best practices and applications for maritime and offshore energy.
- MATES partners and MATES Thematic Group experts.
- Women will be prioritised.
- Attendees should have a basic knowledge of computer systems, Office and internet applications. Familiarity with one of the programming languages, Python or Java, is beneficial.
- Understand how to establish effective Data Management and Data Science teams at your organisation to gradually build capacity.
- Understand basic concepts of Big Data and related technologies to analyse general and organisational use.
- Specify requirements and make informed decisions on assessing different options for an enterprise’s Big Data infrastructure and Data Analytics services implementation.
- Outline the major components and processes of an enterprise’s Data Governance Architecture and corresponding organisational roles; develop the
company’s Data Management Plan (DMP).
Four sessions of 3 hours (3pm – 6pm). Each of the four sessions will include lectures, practice and interactive discussions. Practice will include working with cloud based tools for data handling.
- Day one: TA01. Big Data Technologies: Introduction, Reference Architecture, Big Data algorithms
- Day two: TA02. Big Data Platforms for Data Analytics, Big Data service providers, Hadoop platform overview
- Day three: TA03. Data Management and Governance, DAMA Architecture. Data Management Plan (DMP)
- Day four: TA04. Case Study: Research Data Management
The course can be attended virtually or at the University of Amsterdam. Those participating on campus are responsible for their own travel costs. Lunches are included.
This course is free is free to attend.
Deadline for registration is 5 October 2020.
For registration please visit http://bit.ly/MATES-BD
Download the course flyer here
This course is part of the MATES Pilot Experience ED2MIT which provides training in data literacy, data management and modern platforms for digitalisation in the maritime industry to facilitate its readiness to Industry 4.0. More information on ED2MIT can be found here.
Image credit: Shinonome Production/Shutterstock.com